Get Legal Advice About the Ignition Interlock Law

Under a new law adopted by the Washington state legislature that went into effect at the beginning of 2009, drivers who lose their license as the result of a DUI arrest or conviction can still continue to drive with an ignition interlock device installed in their vehicle.

DUI defense lawyer John F. Segelbaum has carefully studied the new ignition interlock law and can help you understand your rights, responsibilities and legal options. Contact John at his office in Edmonds to schedule a free initial consultation regarding your DUI/DWI options. He regularly defends clients throughout Snohomish County and King County, including the communities of Edmonds, Everett, Lynnwood, Shoreline, Mountlake Terrace, and Bothell, among others.

Helping You Win Back Driving Rights

Ignition interlock devices, also known as "blow and go" devices, are installed in a car's ignition system and do not allow the car to start until the driver passes a breath test that is built in to the device.

The introduction of ignition interlock licenses is a positive step that gives many drivers an avenue to get their driving privileges back.

If you are convicted of DUI, you will be sentenced to a period in which you are required to use an ignition interlock device. Even if you do not receive this sentence, if your license is suspended as a result of DUI, you may be able to get permission to drive with the ignition interlock system in place. If you enter into a deferred prosecution program, you will also be required to install an ignition interlock system in your car.

Understanding the Details of the Law

There are some restrictions built into the new ignition interlock law. You need to be able to pay a monthly fee for the device, and you will not be allowed to drive a commercial vehicle. But on the whole, the ignition interlock system allows many people to avoid the most serious consequences of a suspended driver's license.

To learn more about Washington's new ignition interlock law and how it could affect you, contact attorney John F. Segelbaum.